Wednesday, May 26, 2010
I cut out this tee as part of an outfit for Jalisa. However, I am not totally happy with it so I may end up finding some other fabric to use to match the skirt (which I haven't sewn yet). The body is an Ottobre basic tee pattern. For the sleeves I used a puff sleeve pattern but cut it at full length. It looked terrible so I used some shirring elastic to tighten things up. Here is a good outfit that I have made for Jalisa. The pleasted skirt is # 14 from Ottobre 4/07 and the knit top is "Kaisa" from Ottobre 1/09. I always seem to chose the simplest styles from Ottobre. This is probably no accident. I am too lazy to sew complicated outfits and I prefer simple colours and patterns over Euro for my kids (although I love to see Euro outfits made up).
The boucle in the skirt was picked up in the remnant bin for $2 a metre and with a red bolero already purchased in the January sales, the only suitable colour for a top was black. I had a small remnant of some rayon elastane left over from a skirt a few years ago. Perfect.
So I present, the off white tee
Hmm, a little see through. Very comfy and totally me.
Next up, more Fly Zipper pants, in a grey pinstripe. My assistant insisted on being there.
This is the pants with the tee that I made today. I just used my TNT tee patterns and added a row of shirring elastic to create a ruching effect like some It worked okay. The sleeve on a hanger looks like a longer version of the Anthro tee but on me the ruching is lost because it is a little tight. I think I need a teeny bit more ease for it to look better on me.
I also made this jumper for me today. The fabric is acrylic and I was expecting a struggle but it was really nice to sew with. I used Kwik Sew 2874, basically a raglan with flared sleeves. I have decided I don't like raglans on me, I get this pleat of fabric happening under the arms but I like the sleeve shape so that was enough for me to give it a go.
Saturday, May 08, 2010
Friday, May 07, 2010
I have had this knit top since I was pregnant with Scott. I actually used a Kwik Sew outerwear pattern but I used a lightweight wool-type jersey. This is a terrific green colour and I used a matching thread on my sewing machine, but I must have run out of ideas for a hem finish because I just left it as is. While I had my cardi pattern out, I thought I might as well reconstruct it into something that I can wear now. There was plenty of fabric to use, but not enough for a band. Not that I needed a band, as the pattern gives an option to finish with lingerie elastic, but I just like the look of the band more.
I left the sleeves a little fuller than the pattern, as it was already sewn up anyway. I did not have enough for long sleeves but I think the shorter sleeves suit the weight of the fabric anyway. I knew straight away that I would be using black picot elastic – that was the colour I had in my overlocker. I even found the elastic in my picot elastic stash. I haven’t used this colour before because I have only really used it for Jalisa (and therefore not in need of black yet).
I chose not to interface/add buttons. I rarely button my cardigans up and I just wanted a quick project. If I did it again, I would cut the sleeves with the right width. It is a little full and my coverstitch machine hates sewing picot edged hems in the round.
Saturday, May 01, 2010
The fit is is okay - it will fit all her layers under it so that is the main thing.