Saturday, December 06, 2008

Dye and show

But first, a baby romper that I made as part of a baby gift for a friend. I quickly snapped this terrible photo as the batteries on my camera went flat. Anyway, it is a Kwik Sew pattern and the skirt section is from Ottobre (skirted leggings, don't feel like checking out the issue number).

I hope they like it - the colour combo was the ones they had in their wedding. I also made a covered photo album and some bloomers.

I have decided to try to concentrate on getting the shaving cream dye method down pat next year, as I have plans for using the fabrics in a show entry next May. The last few days I have been doing little pieces in the laundry - I have got somewhere outside to do bigger pieces but I was doing it in the heat/rain/night so it was better inside using a small tray. Anyway, I want to learn small and then get bigger as I get better.

These are some of my favourites - in pink of course.

I used some white drill and it shows the colours a lot clearer than the poplin or cotton lycra knit.

I discovered a way to make leaf-like patterns (drop dots then run a chopstick through). It is hard to see (and the green faded to a yellow in the wash) but I tried to make roses in the middle piece.

I have heaps of fabric to practice more, but need more shaving cream. Looks like I will be forced to do some sewing after all.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The dying looks wonderful. It sounds like you're enjoying it too.


Thanks - I love receiving comments.