Saturday, November 26, 2011

Colette Taffy top

It took awhile to get these photos, but I finally got some taken. Having another occasion to wear version 2 of the Taffy top helped, but I had limited time to get ready for church and put dinner on the table, get the kids ready etc.
This Taffy blouse is made from a silk cotton voile that I have been hoarding in the stash for the perfect pattern. Since it is a very fine fabric with a fab print, I wanted a top with limited seams to break up the pattern. I had earmarked it for a kimono style top, but when I found this in the Colette book, I knew that this fabric would be perfect for it.

I made a size 4-6 and the sizing is good. I found it a little long for my liking, so I just made the hems a little deeper. Oh, and the only other change was applying the bias so that it was on the inside only. It probably made the neckline a tiny bit deeper than drafted, but the difference was only slight it probably is not worth mentioning.

The flutter sleeves are the highlight of the top. The really help to broaden my shoulders.

The fabric was being gobbled by my sewing machine, so I tried an old trick and started sewing from the middle of the seam. This is the first time in a long time I have done french seams and they really are a simple luxery. And it doesn't really add to the construction time.

Princess has been having a workout today. I am making some Chino coloured shorts from the Jalie jeans pattern and there has been plenty of topstitching to do. Using such an old machine has been taking me back to learning to sew on my Mum's 70s era Elna.. It has been a weird experience because Princess is just as cranky as the Elna (such as having a whinge when the needle is not down when starting to sew). Makes me appreciate that I sew in the modern era, with being able to move the needle position and adjustable speed. Still, Princess is breezing through the topstitching, which is her only function for me.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fairy Floss Taffy blouse and my new baby

The Colette Sewing handbook arrived in perfect timing for me. Not only is it the busiest time for me professionally, I have been busy with many social outings. Other introverted people will understand how tiring it is to have additional social occassions. This weekend we had a work Christmas party, 21st party and a games day. Plus I had to do my normal chores and Sunday school commitments.
The Taffy top is delightfully simple yet elegant enough for an evening out in the big smoke.

 The pink swiss dot cotton is my test garment. I wore it today to the games day at my house, and Sunday school. I will post my other version soon. It never made it to the big smoke but I wore it out last night to the golf club for the 21st.

I am tired. Two late nights plus socialising have zapped my energy. I actually dyed this fabric. It was a off white and I was aiming for a fuchsia, but ended up with a fairy floss pink. It was been sitting around my sewing room since it is a little girly for the blouses I wear to work. Now that I ahve made it up, I am really enjoying the colour.

And here is my new baby - a HG Palmer Princess. This baby was originally used at a uni in Brisbane, but was rescused by DH's BIL from being sent to the dump. I sent it in for a service and am told she is in fantastic condition, hardly used. I was delighted that she is a rebadged Janome machine, making all my machines made by Janome. She sews through 8 layers of denim withhout noticing, so perfect for the jeans I plan to make.