Monday, May 28, 2007

Dress Up fun

Our playgroup is having a dress up theme at the moment, this week it is Prince/Princess. I thought it would be a cute idea to make some crowns, but I ended up using more fabric than I bought, so I added some tulle skirts to make up the numbers.

The crown pattern is from Ottobre 1/2007. The kids will be embellishing them today, but the magazine has you add beads and sequins - so adorable. I plan to take my snap press to get accurate head sizes. This Ottobre also has the tulle skirt pattern, but I did not look at it when I was making the skirt.

Friday, May 25, 2007

A few basics

I have done a bit of sewing lately, but have not gotten around to getting photos taken. It is really hard to get any photos of me, because Wayne gets home fairly late and by then it is dark.

This is a cardi for Jalisa, made from a lovely mystery jade-coloured knit. I used Ottobre's Best Tee pattern again, just extending the front. I was pleased that I was able to get this cut out of the leftovers from my cardi (as I had 2m but the knit was less than 150cm wide so my cardi basically took up the whole length without the planned leftovers. I was able to squeeze this in the sides!).
Again, Ottobre's best tee pattern, sans the neckband. I used the jade thread to topstitch with the twin needle.

I love Ottobre...I have got plans to use Ottobre for the dress up swap, so it is very handy!

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Dachshund ditty and other doggy weaves

I finally finished the coat on Tuesday. Am very pleased with the result - the buttonholes were very tricky since the fabric ended up being so thick, but it worked out in the end.
This is the inside where the lining meets the outer fabric. It is only sewn on with french tacks at a few intervals internally, so it looks a little uneven in the photo.
I used black thread for the buttonholes, as I had selected black buttons. I thought it would blend in more.
My parents have always had dachshunds - and since Jalisa loves dogs I thought that I dog print shirt would be a good way of trying my hand at fabric stencilling. This pattern is Ottobre's best tee pattern, minus the neck binding.

This is #4 from Ottobre1/2007 - I just extended the sleeves. I have another cut out of the pattern - I think I will do some shirring on the sleeve to draw the fabric in a little - it is fairly wide without the elastic.
I had some leftover navy jersey, so I made another pair of baby pants from Ottobre 5/2006..with a smaller version of the dachshund print.