Friday, October 01, 2010

Jalie 2908 - stretch jeans

When I saw Dawn's Jalie jeans on her blog, I was inspired to buy this pattern. She churned out some awesome jeans and it made me believe that I could too.

Being the lazy sewist that I am, the pattern sat there for awhile. I only trace patterns when I am in the mood, and it is not often. Meanwhile, Liz created some jeans from Ottobre which seemed to enthuse my mood for creating my own jeans once again.

I found some denim in my stash which seemed to have some stretch that I thought would work for a test pair. I read all the reviews and tips that I could find (mostly on Patternreview, a site I haven't really looked at in years).

Anyway, here they are.
Based on my measurements, I went with a size U. However, my denim is not a stretchy as the 20% recommended, so I used 6mm seams at the side seams instead of the 1cm allowed for by Jalie. I had read that the pattern can be a little tight in the thighs, and with my saddlebags, I am wondering if I need to add extra when I use this pattern next.

My sewing machine was happy topstitching with upholstry thread in the top and regular in the bobbin (apart from the buttonhole). I used Gutermann 887, which is golden brown.

I used a regular zipper, not the metal jeans ones. I could have bought a shorter one - the 8 inch was plenty big. I couldn't find any jeans needles, but my universal size 14s worked fine.

Love the back view. I have to wiggle to get them on, but they are comfy when all zipped and buttoned up.


I used the low rise version which was a good length for me (but then again, I am short waisted and have a long mid section).
I will be making these again, in denim as well as stretch cord.


8 comments:

  1. Marie, your jeans look great on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely fantastic Marie! They look like they fit wonderfully too. I think the low rise option is something I need to consider lol after my high pants version! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm impressed! They look fabulous on you. And even if you made them with a stretchier fabric, I don't think you would need to add any extra fabric anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think these look fabulous. I really like the type of denim you chose and the fit is superb. I have this pattern too and have been lazy about the tracing, but you've inspired me. Seems to be a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful job you have done. I think you made it a good fit. Not sure I would be brave enough to try jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a "jeans person" but they look great on you. I really like the colour and style of your top too.
    BTW, I saw some of your marbling on Sara's blog recently, it looked really fabulous, I'm keen to give it a go. Do you use oil or shaving cream?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ignore my last question, I've just been going through your old posts. I was actually looking at the indigo onion website the other day, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks - I love receiving comments.