Being the lazy sewist that I am, the pattern sat there for awhile. I only trace patterns when I am in the mood, and it is not often. Meanwhile, Liz created some jeans from Ottobre which seemed to enthuse my mood for creating my own jeans once again.
I found some denim in my stash which seemed to have some stretch that I thought would work for a test pair. I read all the reviews and tips that I could find (mostly on Patternreview, a site I haven't really looked at in years).
Anyway, here they are.
Based on my measurements, I went with a size U. However, my denim is not a stretchy as the 20% recommended, so I used 6mm seams at the side seams instead of the 1cm allowed for by Jalie. I had read that the pattern can be a little tight in the thighs, and with my saddlebags, I am wondering if I need to add extra when I use this pattern next.
My sewing machine was happy topstitching with upholstry thread in the top and regular in the bobbin (apart from the buttonhole). I used Gutermann 887, which is golden brown.
I used a regular zipper, not the metal jeans ones. I could have bought a shorter one - the 8 inch was plenty big. I couldn't find any jeans needles, but my universal size 14s worked fine.
Love the back view. I have to wiggle to get them on, but they are comfy when all zipped and buttoned up.
I used the low rise version which was a good length for me (but then again, I am short waisted and have a long mid section).
I will be making these again, in denim as well as stretch cord.