Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ottobre 3-way dress

Gosh, this dress was quick to make. Actually, it was quick to sew, being a pillowcase type dress (Ottobre 3/2009, #18). I had to hand dye the fabric and that took two separate occassions due to storms (and me rushing to get the fabric dyed before it rained down on me). Each piece of fabric wasn't perfect but there was enough between them make a good rainbow dress.

For the front piece, I cut from the graduated rainbow fabric.

For the back, I used the more random rainbow piece.
For the dyeing, I laid it on some other fabric to soak up the excess dye. I think it would work better with a 100% polyester fleece, but I need to buy some because I plan to use what I have on hand. I used procion dye on a stretch poplin, squirting it on and then using a paintbrush to soften where the colours blended.
I have another one cut, this time a plain + print combo, then I am going to make Jalisa a halterneck dress with flared skirt.


  1. That is such a sweet little dress and perfect for showing off the dye!

  2. I think it is so neat that you dye your own fabric. Seems like a lot of work, but so worth it to have such unique creations. Your little one looks adorable in her new dress, and she seems quite pleased!

  3. Very cute wearable art!
    I need to remember this dress when it rolls around to summer again in these parts.


Thanks - I love receiving comments.