This project turned into a mojo killer. Perhaps it was the uninspiring colour. Maybe it was because I was so unorganised with the lining, buttons and notions that more than once I had to stop to purchase interfacing or buttons. I know that it was a bigger project than I had anticipated. I forgot how time consuming coats/jackets can be. Sew some seams, stop and press those seams. Press the stitching, press it open on the inside, press it open on the outside. I would have to turn the iron on each time, as I don’t trust myself to remember to turn it off before I leave the house. The chances of a fire are slim, but I don’t like the idea of leaving appliances like that on.
The pattern is Burda 111-09-05. I have used before in a boucle. It was a close call between that and pattern120-12-08 . On my list were pockets, collar with not lapels, set in sleeves and about 65cm in length. Each pattern has a few features from my list. I did consider morphing the patterns, and layed the traced pattern over the other coat’s pattern sheet but then laziness set in and I just decided to extend the older pattern and had the pockets from the other pattern. I decided I could live with the raglan sleeves and besides, they are way easier to sew in!
I lengthened the pattern by 10cm, as this is what I felt my boucle version was short by. I was going to sew the pockets in the lining fabric to reduce bulk, but then I remembered my current coat which has self fabric for the pockets and it is snugly warm to shove my fingers in on playground duty. The fabric I used is boiled wool. I thought I was ordering something pants weight and I don’t know whether the fault was mine or the ebay sellers but this has been sitting in my stash waiting to be sewn for a couple of years. I have discovered that boiled wool is perfect for in light showers, as the day we visted Cooly Rocks On to see the hot rods, there was numerous showers and the water stayed on top of the coat.
I will add some more detailed shots for part 2.