After the disaster of my last project, I was determined that the next one would be more successful. I had already cut the lining for another pencil skirt so just went along with it. Luckily it went a lot more smoothly. The pattern, by the way, is Burda #127 from 1/2008. There are princess seams front and back as well as a slit at the back.
This version I changed the slit to a vent, which only required a small adjustment to angle the vent seam on the pattern. I think the vent makes the lower back sit a lot nicer than a slit. I did not do a lot of research into vent linings, having found a nice tute at a Fashionable Stitch but after further research (after the fact), I should have added some vertical ease above the vent. Live and learn etc.
I again ended up omitting the waistband due to fabric shortage. I found this wool tweed at an op shop and it only measure just over 65cm long.
Here is the back vent and lining. The overlap is mitred in the corner. As I bagged the hem, it looks ugly in the corner where the pleat forms. I did read today that bagging a skirt hem is not necessary, but I like it.
I used the machine to attach the lining to the zipper tape. It was a little tricky having bagged the hem, but not impossible. To finish the waist, I used a strip of black bengaline cut along the non stretch grain. It was sewn doubled over and then I handstitched it to the lining on the inside.
It feels good to finish this skirt. This is a silhouette I have always avoided sewing prior to this year because I never thought a pegged skirt was flattering to my lower body. I think I need to experiment a little more.