Anyway, I should have looked at the signs and left in plain. It was fine as it was, really. But no. It did not matter that I lost the words that I had traced onto the webbing - I could trace it again after I finished pulling out my hair. It did not matter that I did not have a suitable woven to applique to - I could use the very stretchy rib knit that the gown was made from. It did not matter that it was almost impossible to get to sew the *patch* in the place I wanted - or that it would stretch and slide all over. Argh.
So I am happy that it is done - it is better than in the UFO pile I suppose.