This dress is based around pattern #101 from Burda 12/04, with my own adaptions. Firstly, I raised the centre front seam. I added a full skirt rather than the panelled/gored Burda version – as I thought this would save me a lot of time and possibly fabric. I have used a pink cotton sateen with a black and white cotton sateen for the hem band.
I originally bought some mini pom pom trim to add to Jalisa’s clothing, but I thought it could work on this dress. I found it a little tricky sewing onto the curved seams – I think it would be much easier sewing to a fabric on the grain. The outfit went together fairly easily. I had forgotten how easy dresses can be. If I had had more time, I would have added some more detail to the skirt, some type of trim, but I was a little pressed for time.
This outfit has been my most challenging (sewing) task in a long time. The jacket is fully lined, has set-in ¾ sleeves and there are bands at the end of the sleeves and at the back hem. There is also a front band that stretches from the hem up the centre front, with a 90 degree inward cornered seam. The knee length pencil skirt has a shaped waistband and a front band for the buttons.